Motivation Monday: Prep for Professionalism
Each Monday, we're rolling out a new challenge to change the way you think, act, do, or feel. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to be motivated to try something different for a week. And if you love it, keep it going!
You never know when a great opportunity is going to land squarely in your lap. Maybe you meet someone at a networking event, or perhaps a former coworker reaches out, or you get headhunted, or maybe you just spot an opening at your dream employer. Whatever the case may be, the trick to not panicking and putting your best foot forward is to be prepared.
This week, we're challenging you to take a bit of time to address your professional profile across a few different platforms, so you're always set for whatever opportunities come your way.
First, when was the last time you updated your resume and cover letter? Take a night or two this week and spend some time checking to see what needs to be updated.
- -Is your contact info still the same?
- -Have you included your recent volunteer commitments?
- -How would you describe your accomplishments in your current role?
Don't forget to spend some time on the formatting of your resume and cover letter. Employers take into account the look and feel of your documents:
- Is your font consistent?
- Is everything easy to read and well-organized?
- Do you have a PDF version of everything?
Next, consider your social media accounts, in particular LinkedIn.
- If you have a LinkedIn profile, are there any updates required?
- Has your role evolved?
- Is there someone you can tap at work to write a recommendation for you?
- How about that profile picture?
- On your other social media accounts, is there anything public that you think might reflect poorly on you? Keep in mind many employers will take a peek at your profiles.
After that, think about other assets you should have in your arsenal.
- Do you have an online work portfolio that needs some recent work added to it?
- Are your references up-to-date?
- Do you have any in-person work samples you should gather copies of?
Finally, take a look in your wardrobe and hunt down a perfect interview outfit (or two). If you were told you had an interview for your dream job tomorrow, what would you rock? Make sure you have a backup outfit in case an opportunity does pop up and your perfect outfit is being washed or at the dry cleaners. Aim for something professional, contemporary and modern. And if you're stuck for inspiration, pick up a new dress you love and feel confident in now so you'll be ready to stand out in the best way possible whenever opportunity knocks!